My Zimbio
Top Stories A Darn Hectic Day: Take a step back

Tuesday 20 December 2011

Take a step back

As I sat down today and pushed myself to work on my biology work I found myself thinking about how easy it is to feel overwhelmed by everything that life throws at you. Like the fact that instead of most people who have only 3 AS exams or the lucky few who have 2 or even 1! I have all 4, one of which is on a subject I know nothing about as I didn't study it for GCSE. So I have to do twice the amount of work in the holiday's  as most people. But Instead of letting myself get overwhelmed I chose to follow my own advice.

To take a step back. It's so easy to let your thoughts run away with you, to let one thought lead to another and another and another until your screaming for it all to stop. To think 'I've only just finished organizing my biology work and making a revision plan and it's taken me the whole day, I still haven't organized chemistry or psychology or product design or even started working on them and I've still got to sort out those podcasts to listen to and those past papers to print out to go through as part of my revision....' See how easy it is to move from a positive thought to a string of negative ones?

I can't tell you how to remove these thoughts, or stop them running there course, in fact let them run there course, think all of those things THEN stop.

Think-So I haven't done any of those things, but I can only do what I can do. And I've now got one less thing to do on a list of things to do..

Look at it as One down, rather than 3 to go.

Think about the pluses of what you've done, and how they've lessened your load, if only slightly. Slightly is better than not at all.

So I organized my biology work-Now I don't have to stress out over revising neatly for biology, I have a revision strategy now all I have to do is stick to it.
And I came up with a whole revision plan for everything-Now I don't have to stress out over how I'm gonna tackle my revision for everything.

In terms of organizing, it's so easy to think I DONT KNOW HOW TO UNTANGLE ALL THESE THOUGHTS AND THINGS TO DO. Again, just take a step back.

Pick a starting point no matter how random and work from there.
Right starting point-I have a pile of work i need to organise. Ok So what should I do first?
How about just sorting it out into piles for each subject.
Now I have a mess of work in each pile for each subject.
What next?
Ummmm I know, I'll look in my textbook and see how the works arranged in there. (looking at existing methods or preorganized stuff is alway really useful! I can't stress that enough!)

Right so for Biology we have Unit 1 and Unit 2- My first exam is Unit 1, Right I'll put all the relevant topics (listed beneath Unit 1 in my textbook) together into two seperate piles.
Now under Unit 1 there is module 1 and 2, again, split the work into those piles.
Now under these modules there are 3 topics. Hmmm, you guessed it, three new piles.
Now my work is arranged into smaller more workable chunks.
To organize them roughly i can just use a folder for each module, and so 2 folders for each unit.
From a pile of mess, there is now a semblence of order, just by looking at it in logical bitesized steps.

Furthermore, ask friends how they do it, ask your parents, or teachers. Pick up strategies and mimic them. Believe me it's how i've survived. I was using a divided notebook for my work, but it was raining chaos. My friend uses a folder, with seperate plastic wallets. So each piece of work can be protected and easily flipped (no messing around to find the right place to hole punch so work doesn't stick out of the ends >.<! )
And it can be rearranged, with divider pages put in listing learning outcomes and the name of each section of work/revision. This works for me. But another way may work for you :)

So all I can do is keep on working and hoping it will all be worth it, there's no point worrying about something I have no way of knowing anything about.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment and tell me what you think :) It would be hugely appreciated ^^